The BOSCORF Geotek MSCL-CIS (Core Imaging System) provides a dedicated track for the Geoscan IV linescan camera, allowing
- routine and rapid acquisition (about 5 minutes per 1.5 m core section) of high-resolution core imagery soon after splitting before colour changes can occur, e.g. through oxidation, to provide very high-quality archival records
- acquisition of precise depth-registered images that can be correlated with other data sets or used when describing core
- visiting researchers and students to obtain their own high-quality core imagery
- provision of core images, as well as metadata, for BOSCORF cores listed on the online Index to Marine & Lacustrine Geological Samples database, allowing better assessment of their research potential
- routine integration of core images with other core data into iPOINT, providing comprehensive high-resolution core datasets for research,teaching and demonstration purposes
The lighting system comprises a computer-controlled high-intensity LED light array with adjustable lighting angle and light intensity for optimum imaging, particularly for wet cores.
Example of high-quality core imagery that can be acquired using the MSCL-CIS system. Core images can be magnified very significantly giving highly detailed views of lithology and sedimentary components, in this case, coral debris (core from Northern Moroccan Margin, MD13-34).